One of my favorite times of the day. Ever since I shouted “RISE AND SHINE!” to my college roommates as I ran out the door to hit up the cafeteria at 7 AM (yes, I was THAT person) my love for the first meal of the day runs DEEP.
Also, breakfast involves coffee, which I consider to be one of the most necessary food and/or beverage groups out there.
That’s why this week I decided to combine my love of breakfast + coffee + health benefits and show you guys how to make a bang-up golden milk iced coffee that could get you going and bless yo’ brain.
Now, what is golden milk? A super delicious, coconut-based milk laced with turmeric and black pepper said to have anti inflammatory and relaxation properties. It’s wonderfully rich, a bit spicy, a bit sweet, and just right for combining with coffee. Just like with our cheesy turmeric crackers post, combining turmeric with black pepper in golden milk, is a great way to unlock curcumin- which can aid in digestion and stabilizing blood sugar. Plus, this golden milk is simple, only slightly sweet, and made with dairy-free coconut milk. WIN!
I also realize that breakfast is WAYY more than coffee- and should be- because, after all, if you want to get that gold star MVP award at work you need to be on your game!! So I recruited my great friend Mallory Swain, of Mallory Swain Health Coaching, to hang out on my sofa and teach me her nutritious breakfast ways. Her number one tip? Make a smoothie!!
Also, you can find Mal’s first favorite smoothie recipe here. And her current fave recipe is linked on the YouTube video details!
So this weekend, sit back, relax, blend up a smoothie, check out Mallory’s website, and enjoy some Golden Milk iced coffee. You’ve earned it!
Golden Milk Iced Coffee
This recipe works best when your golden milk and coffee are hot! I like to make the golden milk ahead of time, keep it in the fridge, then heat it up for about a minute while I make my coffee. This golden milk recipe is a bit modified from Wellness Momma‘s version. Blend, add ice, enjoy!
What You Will Need
- 8 to 10 ounces fresh, hot coffee (I like the French press method)
- 1 13.5 ounce can organic coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Powdered stevia, to taste
What You Will Do
- Combine coconut milk, oil, turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper, cayenne, ginger, and vanilla extract in blender until combined.
- Heat mixture over medium heat until combined and coconut oil is melted.
- Stir in honey until dissolved.
- Remove from heat, pour into a jar, and allow to cool (or use immediately in coffee).
- Pour coffee and desired amount of golden milk into blender. Blend on medium speed until combined. Taste; add stevia if needed.
- Allow coffee to cool for a few minutes; pour over ice and enjoy!